One of the greatest values of your HBA membership requires some a little effort on your part, but it can pay off huge for those who take advantage of it. HBA provides a whole range of opportunities for members to connect with others in the industry. There are opportunities for you to use your skills and expertise to guide HBA’s programs and services while making your company known and developing business relationships. We also provide opportunities for you to get together with others in a more social setting to develop business contacts and referrals.
Help guide and advance HBA’s programs and services
You can utilize your current skill set, area of expertise, industry passion or leadership abilities to connect and advance our efforts to provide a better housing and building environment in our region. Whether you are just getting involved in the industry and HBA, or are a seasoned veteran, we have a spot for you and would welcome your involvement. We have a variety of opportunities with plenty of options that can meet different levels of commitment.
- Standing committees and councils that meet regularly in areas like communications, government relations, political action, finance, home performance & sustainability, remodeling, and sales & marketing
- Special ad hoc groups that meet for a shorter time period to provide counsel or direction on policy or industry issues, such as insurance, financing, city permitting and regulatory issues.
- Show Committees that help us oversee our home shows and tours to enhance and expand the opportunities for our members to promote their businesses to consumers and gain leads/sales. These include the NW Natural Street of Dreams, the Portland Home & Garden Shows (Spring & Fall), the Ultimate Open House new home tour, and the Tour of Remodeled Homes.
Develop relationships that fit your business needs
HBA hosts a variety of functions and events that help members connect, share business ideas, develop referrals and ultimately grow your business. Examples of events include:
- Regional Builder Socials/Meetings. These are held quarterly in areas across our region to help members connect without having to come to our main office. They are geared towards builders and trade contractors and provide an opportunity for members to come together, sometimes with a local building or elected official attending to listen to industry feedback and share any news that will affect the industry. We are holding these in Yamhill County (McMinnville), Columbia County (Scappoose), and western Washington County (Forest Grove), eastern Clackamas County (Happy Valley). We also have an affiliated Portland Infill Builders Group that meets monthly downtown.
- Industry-Specific Forums and Groups. HBA also hosts small forums and gatherings that help members with common business interests share ideas. These include bi-monthly Remodelers Roundtables, monthly PRO (remodelers) luncheons/meetings, bi-monthly Associates Roundtables, a quarterly Production Builders Council, a quarterly Home Performance Council breakfast, and periodic Builders Forums. We also have specialty Councils that meet (see above).
- Reverse Trade Show. This event is a “speed-dating” format event that is held twice a year. Attendance is limited to about 24 associate members and 24 builders. Associate members have three minutes to give a sales pitch to a builder, and then move on to the next one. Held in our conference center, and followed by a cocktail hour and then a builders-only dinner, this event is highly rated and valued by both Associates and Builders/Remodelers as a way to make new business relationships.
- Social Events. While many of our events have social/fun built in, some are specifically designed for our members to just have fun together. We all know that doing activities with others and creating memories is a great way to build relationships. We offer numerous events each year, including golf tournaments, a trap shoot, Ski Day, Bowl & Bets (bowling and poker), Chili Cook-off, Salmon Bake and Turkey Fry, to name several. In addition, we hold larger events that recognize achievement and bring our industry together, including our Builders Ball, our Excellence Awards Banquet, and our Foundation’s Annual Auction Dinner.