The Government Relations staff of the HBA of Metropolitan Portland represents HBA’s members to the 37 local governments and boards under its jurisdiction. The staff monitors, testifies, and reports on issues such as system development charges (SDC’s), fee increases, code changes, development policies, housing affordability and housing density. The primary driving force of these issues is to provide the ABC’s of housing: Affordability, Balance, and Choice. In addition to working with local jurisdictions on these important issues, our staff also works to advance issues and candidates who are pro-business and pro-housing.
Members who serve on the Government Relations and Political Action Committees (PAC) provide staff with vital input and direction when representing the association and its members to our local and regional agencies and policy makers.
The HBA Government Relations and Political Action Committees meet on the second Thursday of every month from 10-11:30 a.m. For more information, contact Justin Wood.
The hottest issues are reported on regularly, both in the Around the Region section of the Home Building News and posted online.
Additional industry issues information may be found from the NAHB’s Construction Liability, Risk Management and Building Materials Committee. Click here for an information sheet from NAHB about issues resources.
Government Relations News
- South Hillsboro: Notice of Intent to Establish Transportation SDC (3/24/2015) - On March 18th, the City of Hillsboro issued a public notice of their intent to establish a SDC for transportation facilities within the South Hillsboro Plan District. A technical report supporting the methodology and caculation of the proposed charges on … Continue reading
- Washington County TDT to Increase Beginning July 1st (3/23/2015) - Effective July 1st, 2105 the Washington County TDT index will increase rates by approximately 1%. This will be the first increase caused by the index. TDT rates from July 1, 2009 through September 30, 2104 were discounted by the TDT … Continue reading
- Portland Increases SDC & HOLTE Program Home Buyer Income Limits (3/20/2015) - The Portland Housing Bureau (PHB) administers the City of Portland’s Homebuyer Opportunity Limited Tax Exemption (HOLTE) Program governed by State Statute 307.651-687 and City Code 3.102 and the System Development Charge (SDC) Exemption Program governed by City Code 30.01.095. The … Continue reading
- City of Sherwood: Intent to Modify Water SDC Methodology, Fees and Credits (3/17/2015) - On March 17th the HBA received notice from the City of Sherwood of their intent to modify the City’s Water SDC methodology, fees and credits. The City Council will hold a public hearing on June 16th 2105, regarding the proposed … Continue reading
- 2015 PAC Poker Recap (3/16/2015) - The HBA’s annual PAC Poker tournament provided members an opportunity to interact with elected officials from around the region, in a fun and relaxing environment. 35 members were joined by Clackamas County Commission Chair John Ludlow, and West Linn Council … Continue reading
- City of Portland Major Residential Alteration and Addition Permits: New Permit Category with Notification and Delay Requirements (3/13/2015) - In response to community requests for notification when large remodels, addition and alterations occur to existing homes, Portland City Council has approved changes to Title 24, Portland Building Regulations, establishing a new Major Residential Alteration and Addition (MRAA) permit category. … Continue reading
- March 10th- Legislative Day Cancelled (3/3/2015) - We’ve decided to cancel the Legislative Day, scheduled for March 10th, but stay tuned – we might be gathering the troops later this session! Thanks to those of you who were planning to attend, but please keep an eye on … Continue reading
- City of Milwaukie Proposed Building Fee Increase (2/25/2015) - The State Building Codes Division received notice of intent to adopt building inspection program fees from the City of Milwaukie. Pursuant to Oregon Administrative Rule 918-020-0220, municipalities seeking to adopt fees are required to provide the following summary information 45 … Continue reading
- Portland Parks SDC Methodology Now Available (2/24/2015) - The City of Portland recently released their new Parks SDC methodology. The HBA has hired a consultant to review the change in the practice of how they calculate the SDC, as well as challenge the City’s new methodology which bases … Continue reading
- New Federal Flood Risk Management Standard (2/24/2015) - Created by President Obama, Executive Order (EO) 13690 is part of national policy to improve3 climate resiliency as directed by the President’s Climate Action Plan. The EO creates a new Federal Flood Risk Management Standard (FFRMS) for all federally approved … Continue reading