The Government Relations staff of the HBA of Metropolitan Portland represents HBA’s members to the 37 local governments and boards under its jurisdiction. The staff monitors, testifies, and reports on issues such as system development charges (SDC’s), fee increases, code changes, development policies, housing affordability and housing density. The primary driving force of these issues is to provide the ABC’s of housing: Affordability, Balance, and Choice. In addition to working with local jurisdictions on these important issues, our staff also works to advance issues and candidates who are pro-business and pro-housing.
Members who serve on the Government Relations and Political Action Committees (PAC) provide staff with vital input and direction when representing the association and its members to our local and regional agencies and policy makers.
The HBA Government Relations and Political Action Committees meet on the second Thursday of every month from 10-11:30 a.m. For more information, contact Justin Wood.
The hottest issues are reported on regularly, both in the Around the Region section of the Home Building News and posted online.
Additional industry issues information may be found from the NAHB’s Construction Liability, Risk Management and Building Materials Committee. Click here for an information sheet from NAHB about issues resources.
Government Relations News
- City of Portland BPS Extends Comment Period for Comp Plan Draft (10/27/2014) - Written comment period extended until March 31, 2015 The Planning and Sustainability Commission will hold two more hearings on the Comprehensive Plan Proposed Draft this fall. Hearings about the updated Transportation System Plan (TSP) candidate project list and the Economic … Continue reading
- City of Lake Oswego Recruiting Development Review Commission Members (10/22/2014) - The City of Lake Oswego is accepting applications for its Development Review Commission. The DRC is a seven-member citizen advisory body appointed to review development applications for compliance with the City’s land use and design regulations, based on criteria outlined … Continue reading
- PAC Spotlight: HBA Members Run for Elected Office (10/22/2014) - With the November election fast approaching we wanted to take the time to specifically recognize two members who are currently running for elected office this fall. It is our sincere hope that you lend your support to both these candidates, … Continue reading
- City of Portland Tree Code: Upcoming Information and Training Sessions (10/20/2014) - To better educate customer on changes to the City’s Tree Code, Bureau of Development Services will hold the following Information/ Training Sessions. For more information please contact Lauren Wirtis. Continue reading
- Washington County Development Forum: October 30th (10/14/2014) - The Washington County Department of Land Use & Transportation invites members to attend their quarterly Development Forum on Thursday, October 30th from 8:30 – 10:00 am. This is an opportunity for members to learn more about Washington County’s development-related services … Continue reading
- HBA Endorsed and Recommended Candidates for November Election (10/10/2014) - Below you will find a list of HBA endorsed and recommended candidates running for state and local office this November. We hope that you will consider supporting these candidates with your vote. HBA Metro Portland Endorsed Candidates- Local Races Oregon … Continue reading
- Update: City of Portland Tree Policy Review and Regulatory Improvement Project (Tree Project) (10/7/2014) - On June 19, 2014, the Portland City Council adopted the Fiscal Year 2014/2015 budget, which included funding for the Citywide Tree Policy Review and Regulatory Improvement Project (“Tree Project”). This project, originally approved in 2011, includes new tree regulations, improvements … Continue reading
- PAC Par 3 Raises 2,500 for Oregonians for Affordable Housing and BUILDPAC (10/2/2014) - This past Friday the HBA’s annual PAC Par 3 Pitch & Putt was held at Mcmenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. The sold out event raised $2,500 for our state and federal political action committees, Oregonians for Affordable Housing and BUILDPAC. Thank … Continue reading
- Oregon Building Codes Division: Permanment Rule Changes (10/1/2014) - The Oregon Building Codes Division recently posted the following permanent rules: 2014 Oregon Electrical Specialty Code adoption 2014 Oregon Plumbing Specialty Code adoption 2014 Oregon Residential Specialty Code adoption – 2014 ORSC insert pages are available on the BCD website … Continue reading
- Portland BDS Customer Notification: Townhouse Design and Construction – Requirement Clarification and Changes (9/26/2014) - In seeking to provided clear direction to its customers, and to be in compliance with the Oregon Residential Specialty Code (commonly referred to as State Building Code); The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) has provided a notification regarding Oregon Residential … Continue reading